Lisa Sharp

Legal Aid

I accept Legal Aid Certificates for family and immigration law cases.

What is Legal Aid?

Legal Aid includes several programs which provide free or low cost legal assistance to people who can’t afford a lawyer. The Legal Aid program provides help through legal clinics across Ottawa, duty counsel at the Ottawa Courthouse, the Family Law Information Centre at the Ottawa Courthouse and Legal Aid Certificates.

Legal Aid Ontario

Who qualifies for legal aid?

People with a very low income, including students, those receiving any type of social assistance or those earning minimum wage may qualify for legal aid. If you have dependents you are more likely to qualify.

If you don’t qualify for a legal aid certificate, you may still be able to get help from duty counsel at the courthouse for criminal and family law cases, as long as your income is not too high.

What is a Legal Aid Certificate?

A Legal Aid Certificate is like a gift certificate that you take to a lawyer that you choose who will be paid by the Legal Aid Program. The certificate is good for a certain number of hours, and it has an expiry date, so it is important to use it immediately and be efficient in the meetings with your lawyer.

What types of cases can you get a Certificate for?

If you qualify for the certificate, Legal Aid certificates may be available for family law, immigration law and criminal law. Examples of these include:

  • Family law: custody, access, child support, restraining orders, non-removal orders
  • Immigration law: refugee claims, some judicial reviews
  • Criminal law: cases where, if convicted, the accused may be put in jail for more than two years

Where is the Legal Aid office?

The Ottawa Legal Aid office is located at 73 Albert Street, near Elgin. The office is open from 7:30 am – 3:30 pm. The telephone number is 238-7931. Click here to see a map of the area.

What do I need to bring to my appointment at the Legal Aid office?

You will need to bring:

  • all court papers relating to your case
  • proof of household income, including three most recent documents (pay stubs, OW stubs, OAS stubs, etc.) for all adults living in your home
  • proof of expenses (rent, heat, hydro, water, daycare)
  • bank account statements for all bank accounts for past three months
  • RSPs, Stocks, Bonds, or any other assets. (statements for past three months)
  • credit card statements, student loan statements (or any other debts)
  • verification of support payments being paid or being received
  • mortgage statements (need amount and renewal date of mortgage)
  • proof of application for bankruptcy, with list of creditors or debtors from Trustee

Contact Lisa

If you would like to discuss your case, please contact Lisa.