Lisa Sharp

Name Changes

If you want to change your child’s name, you are required to give notice and in some cases, obtain the consent of the other parent of the child.

Name ChangesIf your child is over 12 years old, they must consent to their name being changed. There may be cases where it is not a good idea to give notice to the other parent. For example, if the other parent could pose a danger to yourself or the child. Another example would be if the other parent sudden appearance could cause serious emotional harm to the child.

In other cases, it may be impossible to give notice to the other parent, because you have no idea where they are. You can apply to family court for a court order to provide an exception to this rule.

Contact Lisa

If you would like to discuss your case or anything relating to family law, please contact Lisa.

Thanks to D Sharon Pruitt on Flickr for the photo!